I Can Afford My Payments
If you were able to afford your student loan payments before the payment pause, and your circumstances haven’t changed significantly, we encourage you to stay the course!
When you log in:
- Review your monthly payment amount to confirm you can afford it
- If you can’t afford it, you can tell us your situation or explore options to lower your payments
- Check your loan status and remaining balance so you know what you owe
- Update your contact information to be sure we can reach you about your account if needed
Check your budget and confirm you can handle your payment amount in your monthly expenses. If you ever have concerns about your ability to make your payment, you can always choose Repayment Options & Resources on your dashboard and apply for an income-driven repayment plan, such as the Saving on a Valuable Education (SAVE) plan. And of course, we’re always here to help you explore your options.
Want to pay off your loans as soon as possible? Although your payments may be lower, it may be wise to apply for the Saving on a Valuable Education (SAVE) Plan based on your income. If you qualify, you can still always pay more than your current amount due (known as an excess payment) to help you pay off your loans faster. Get additional details.
We’ll send your billing statement about three weeks before each payment is due.
Something you may want to consider…
Want to put your payments on autopilot? If you aren’t already enrolled, sign up for auto debit. It’s the maintenance-free method that automatically deducts your monthly payment from the bank account of your choice.
Even better? Signing up for auto debit may save you 0.25% on your interest rate while your loans are in an active repayment status. *
Simply log in to your Nelnet.com account and choose Payments from the menu, then Manage Automatic Payments.
* Your lender may modify or terminate its borrower benefit program at its discretion and without prior notice. Your failure to satisfy benefit eligibility requirements may result in the loss of the benefit.